Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Spring Break is a break from reality
School has been very stressful for me this year. Not only are we being inundated with new technology, we are not being trained. Despite the lack of training, we are expected to use it and write it into our lesson plans. As I learn (on my own, mind you) how to use these technologies, I love them and I am coming to find them invaluable. However, the stress is causing such an unpleasant work environment. Some of the teachers are very resistant to these new technologies and flat out refuse to use them- others limp along with the pathetic excuse for training that we receive. All are grumpy and creating an environment of finger-pointing and scape-goating. Not to mention, our contracts have not been signed yet...sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Have you tried looking on the internet on how other teachers are using these new technologies? I am always surprised to see schools get equipment and then not do any training at all. For a small group or a Ning and help one another.
ReplyDeleteLinda
I think that's a great idea, the ning.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about creating all the content, take it upon yourself to invite anyone remotely interested to a ning where you can support each other with discussions.
Joann:
ReplyDeleteThings will get better as you progress along in your studies and career. It is very frustrating to get all of these new technologies and not receive the training to back them up. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Have a Happy Easter.
I hear you Joann. This is going to be an on going struggle for many years to come. I guess I am hesitant myself to use certain technology in my lesson plans while eager to use others. Some of us who love technology may look like "those stubborn old fashioned teachers" to some of the younger set coming into the profession. I hope not.
ReplyDelete