Sunday, April 19, 2009

The over-worked teacher

I have a hard time saying no. This is especially true at work. I suppose I am under some misguided delusion that someone will actually notice and appreciate my self-less nature. Ha ha. I almost couldn't keep a straight face while typing it. 
I am concerned that my inability to say no to my colleagues and my superiors is becoming detrimental to my life that (barely) exists outside of school. I am constantly being talked into extra weekend activities and volunteer situations.
Have I mentioned that our contracts are not signed yet??

5 comments:

  1. Most women seem to be designed to please. But saying yes causes stress. We cannot do everything, all the time. Learning your boundaries is a great skill for anyone. Maybe this site will help http://stress.about.com/od/settingboundaries/ht/say_no.htm

    Linda Burns

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chuckle at the fact that I am reading this as I plan to attend and chaperone Grad Night tonight at Disney's MGM Studios for our seniors after working all day today.

    I guess my biggest problem is that I actually enjoy doing this kind of stuff with my students and for my school. However, I am finding that once you sign up for something in my school, you get picked for everything. That cannot be a good thing and I'm beginning to get overwhelmed with my lack of time management. I'm also seeing a detachment with friends and family and I'm doing all I can to fit everything and everyone in. If you come up with any suggestions, let me know...I'll take any help I can get. :-)

    ~Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Linda for your article...I'm checking it out. I will try anything to relieve stress.

    ~Jolene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over worked is an understatement. I think the current perception of what a teacher does is grossly incorrect. Just as the shift of technology in education has been slow, I feel the structure of the classrooms and school has been slow to change as well. In a world where we as teachers are expected to create an academic plan for each student even if they are not in an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) screams a need for change, especially in elementary education. No one can be everything to everyone and be expected to it well all the time.

    On a personal note, my husband still thinks I have the best job in the world, working from 8:30 to 3:45 with spring and summer breaks.

    ReplyDelete